The first time I used liquid foundation was after I had been given free samples. I applied it as I would a cream, with my fingers. Even after I had started regularly using foundation as part of my daily make up routine, I continued doing it the same way. Needless to say, it was a messy affair and half of the liquid would end up covering my finger tips instead of my face.
The advantages of foundation brushes
- The foundation spreads quickly and evenly: for me, this is the main advantage
- You need less liquid than with fingers and sponges
- You can easily blend two different shades: every so often it happens that I buy a shade that is too dark for my skin. Instead of discarding a full bottle, I just get another one of a lighter shade and then blend the two with the help of the brush
- There is no mess to wash off your hands after usage
- Long-lasting tool when cleaned regularly (unlike sponges)
The photo below shows my current two foundation brushes: Sephora PRO foundation brush No 83 (left) and a classic foundation brush, also by Sephora (see similar here). I got the round one recently and it's my favourite because I have never been able to apply foundation in a more efficient manner. It comes with a plastic cap, which is convenient for travelling.
What are your tips for applying foundation?